Pro Bono & Social Impact
We accept work via referrals from our pro bono partners:
- Arts Law Centre of Australia:a community legal centre providing legal advice services to artists and arts organisations across the country.
- Cancer Council (WA, QLD and NSW): helping people affected by cancer.
- Law Access (WA): assisting vulnerable people to obtain access to justice.
- LawRight (QLD):assisting vulnerable people to obtain access to justice.
- Legal Aid WA Disaster Legal assistance: assisting people who have been impacted by disasters to obtain access to justice.
- State Administrative Tribunal (WA): The SAT refers people involved in matters before it.
Assistance for those impact by the Australian bushfires
2019 and 2020 have seen our country devastated by unprecedented bushfires. HBA has committed to provide pro bono legal assistance to help those who are suffering. We are working with the following organisations to provide that assistance:
- NSW Bushfires Legal assistance: a partnership between Legal Aid NSW, community legal centres, the Law Society of NSW, Justice Connect and the NSW Bar Association.
- Legal Aid WA Disaster Legal assistance.
- Disaster Legal Help Victoria: a partnership between Justice Connect and legal sector agencies.
At HBA, we recognise that non-Solicitors have plenty to offer the community too, and are eager to get involved.
Our people, who work in support roles at HBA are offered one full day (or two half days) away from the office for work in the community on projects that make a difference.
Our Environmental Footprint
There’s a lot we can do to reduce waste across our offices and we are serious about lessening our impact on the environment. Just a few examples of how we do this are:
- Using environmentally friendly dishwashing liquid, dishwashing tablets, surface sprays and hand soap that don’t damage the environment when they end up in waterways.
- Opting for 100% natural and biodegradable cloths in our kitchens.
- Recycling bins and compost bins.
- Transitioning to paperless.
- Recycling batteries and printer cartridges.
Pro bono contacts at HBA
If you’ve got a community project that needs volunteers, or you are interested in becoming one of HBA Legal’s pro bono partners, please get in touch.
Acting National Pro Bono and Social Impact Coordinator
Dr Andrew Lu AM