HBA’s Andrew Lu named on Queen’s Birthday Honours List
Date: June 14, 2021
Congratulations to HBA’s own Dr Andrew Lu for being named on the Queen’s Birthday 2021 Honours List for “significant service to the visual and performing arts, to the law and to legal education”.
Dr Lu has been appointed a Member (AM) in the General Division of the Order of Australia. He is the only Western Australian to be recognised for services to law on today’s honours list.
We commend Dr Lu for the very significant contribution he makes to the Australian community. Just some of his involvements and achievements are noted below.
Announcing the list, the Governor-General said:
“On behalf of all Australians, congratulations to all recipients. Each of these individuals are unique and their story deserves to be shared widely and celebrated.
Collectively, they speak to who we are as a nation. There are countless examples of selflessness, commitment and dedication. There is diversity and there are examples of exceptional achievement in almost every field imaginable.
To the individuals being recognised today, many of whom Linda and I look forward to meeting over the coming year, thank you for your service and congratulations on being recognised by your peers and your nation.”
- Non-Executive Director, Australian Youth Orchestra, since 2017.
- Non-Executive Director, Arts Law Centre of Australia, since 2017.
- Non-Executive Director, Melbourne International Film Festival, since 2019.
- Member, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital Art Advisory Board, since 2014.
- President, Royal Schools Music Club, 2016-2017.
- Deputy Chairman, board member, Canberra Symphony Orchestra, 2004-2013.
- Chairman, Jigsaw Theatre Company, 2006-2010.
- Benefactor, Founding Pianos, WA Academy of Performing Arts, Edith Cowan University, current.
National Gallery of Australia (NGA)
- Life Governor, current.
- Non-Executive Director, NGA Foundation, since 2011.
- Founding Donor, 2010.
- Donor, Perth Institute of Contemporary Art, current.
- Donor, Art Collective WA, current.
- Patron, Artsource, current.
- Governor, Art Gallery of New South Wales Foundation, since 2003.
- Founder Benefactor, National Gallery of Victoria, since 2014.
- Foundation Council Member and Benefactor, Art Gallery of Western Australia, since 2018.
- Partner, HBA Legal, since 2018.
- Sessional Member, Western Australian State Administrative Tribunal, since 2019.
- Deputy Member, WA Reproductive Technology Council, since 2020.
- Partner, in-house counsel, Sparke Helmore (Perth) 2012-2017.
- Senior Associate, Minter Ellison, 2004-2012, and Pro Bono Coordinator Canberra, 2006-2012.
- Solicitor, Herbert Smith Freehills, 2001-2004.
- Foundation member, State Administrative Tribunal pro bono panel, current.
- Foundation member, Pride in Law WA, current.
- Member, several editorial boards including LexisNexis Australian Insurance Law Bulletin, since 2009.
- Member, Law Access Pro Bono Coordinators Committee, 2014-2017.
- Fellow, Australian Academy of Law, since 2018.
- Foundation Member, Asian Australian Lawyers Association (WA Branch), since 2016.
- Fellow, Australian and New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Finance, since 2009.
- Fellow, Governance Institute of Australia, since 2021.
- Fellow, Financial Services Institute of Australasia, since 2008.
- Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, since 2005.
- Member, Australian Institute of Company Directors, current.
- Adjunct Professor, Law School, Curtin University, since 2021.
- Adjunct Senior Lecturer, University of Western Australia Law School, since 2017.
- Sessional Lecturer, Australian National University, 2005-2011.
- Advisory Board Member, Australian National University, College of Law, 2006-2010.
Australian-American Fulbright Commission
- Chair and member, Western Australian Scholarship Selection Committee, since 2017.
- TEDx Fulbright Perth licensee, 2017.
- Fulbright Ambassador, 2016-2018.
- Member, National Scholarship Selection Committee, 2011-2016.
Other Memberships include:
- Member, Human Research Ethics Committee, Calvary Health Care ACT, 2007-2012.
- Member, New Generation of Giving Program, Philanthropy Australia, 2013-2018.
- Charter Member, Rotary of Elizabeth Quay, since 2016.
- Advisory Board Member, ACT Social Enterprise Hub, Social Ventures Australia, 2007-2012.
Awards and recognition include:
- Awarded, Medal of the Order of Australia, 2008.
- Diversity Leader Award, Asian Australian Lawyers Association, 2019.
- 40 Under 40, Business News, 2017.
- Arts Community Pro Bono Award, Arts Law, 2016.
- Noted in the AFR’s Best Lawyers for Health and Aged Care law, current.